Loreena McKenitt is one of my favorite music artists of all time. If you’ve never heard of her (which, would be shocking!), she is a Canadian Celtic singer/songwriter/producer who has been producing music and performing worldwide for almost two decades now. Her music is RICH, rich I tell you, in beauty and truth, and she has such an evident and deep connection to the world around her.
I was looking at her website/blog today and found that she had posted a list of her personal values and principles for everyone to be inspired by. I WAS inspired by them, in fact, very inspired, and want to share them with you as well. They are beautiful and well thought out…and most likely well LIVED out too.
So here is a list of life values and principles according to Loreena McKenitt:
- Be compassionate and never forget how to love.
- Think inclusively.
- Reclaim noble values such as truth, honesty, honour, courage.
- Respect one’s elders and look to what they have to teach you.
- Be empathetic.
- Look after the less fortunate in society.
- Promote and protect diversity.
- Respect the gifts of the natural world.
- Set your goals high and take pride in what you do.
- Cherish and look after your body, and, as the ancient Greeks believed, your mind will serve you better.
- Put back into the community as there have been those before you have done the same and you are reaping what they sowed.
- Participate in and protect democracy. It does not thrive as a spectator sport.
- Undertake due diligence in everything.
- Seek balance and space, and solitude.
- Don’t be afraid to feel passionate about something.
- Learn to be an advocate and an ambassador for good.
- Be mindful of your limitations.
- Indulge and nurture your curiosity as it will keep you vital.
- Take charge of your life and don’t fall into the pit of entitlement.
- Assume nothing and take nothing for granted.
- Things are not necessarily what they seem.